Wednesday 17 July 2013

Change We See

I have learned from a movie that when a particular kind of dinosaur comes to attack you, you should not run. You stay as steady as possible, even if you are close enough to get its breath on your face. Because that kind of dinosaurs can only detect things that move with respect to their surroundings. I think there are animals with that primitive kind of vision in our age too. Frogs are such a folk, I remember reading it somewhere.

The problem is that we, the latest organisms on the earth, suffer from a similar kind of handicap. But at a different level. We sense only those things that changes with respect to time. Eyes are the sense organs that can detect changes in electric and magnetic fields, within some range. Light is a combination of electromagnetic waves, I have studied. Ears can hear only the changes in the surrounding air pressure, again, within some range. I don't know the mechanisms behind smell and taste. But I strongly feel that chemical changes are involved in them. About touch, if your skin in contact with the thing you are touching has absolutely no movement about that thing, you won't feel anything. That's my belief. And that can be wrong. Sometimes, right too.

Now the question I have is, what is beyond all these changes. Can we never see anything that does not change? My questions get very complicated when I approach this unchanging thing. 

Why was I not taught about it in schools? May be it is too complicated. But it is very fundamental too. Perhaps the most fundamental.

I have seen people with these queries. Or I am reiterating their questions here. Many have died. Some answers have survived here and there.

May be we will know things better one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment